Super Easy Way to Root and Get Android Market on Your Kyros!

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
I've fully read the alternate newbie friendly tutorial and everything makes sense except when you do the clockworkmod. In the sticky it states you type after "su"

"flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" hit ENTER then type: "reboot recovery" and thats it but I have read the replies in the forum of the sticky and they say this recovery stick command has to be issued first after "su"

"mv /system/ect/install-recover.sh /system/ect/install-recovery.sh.bak" but its not stated in the sticky.

So, should I follow the sticky and just type "su" hit ENTER then type: "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" hit ENTER then type: "reboot recovery" or should I integrate the command for the recovery stick first? So, it would be type "su" hit ENTER then type: "mv /system/ect/install-recover.sh /system/ect/install-recovery.sh.bak" hit ENTER and then type: "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" hit ENTER then type: "reboot recovery"

If the latter is the case then I think the sticky needs to be corrected and updated because its inaccurate and missing information.

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Yes, you'll have to move that script or the stock recovery will be reinstalled on boot.

mrtoad43

Jan 30, 2011
Many thanks everyone who wrote back to me. I do have to say, I got my coby today. I had ordered from "ToysrUs" the Coby 7005. However, I got the 7015. I suppose that is good as it does save me worrying about rooting instructions specifially for the 7005. I just wanted to say thank you and I'll let you know how it goes when I make them attempt. I much appreciate the people who posted and left information for me. I also appreciate the leaders of this forum for making these things possible for all of us newbies who can not do this themselves. "Thank you all - for helping so many". Your patience is much appreciated.

code347

Feb 4, 2011
I had to sign up for an account just to say THANKS!

I was losing my sanity trying to root his thing and get the Market on the device over the last 2 days. I found that the Kryos was crashing and dumping out of programs, as well as sluggish on the touchscreen. I was contemplating taking it back.

I followed the directions here and was up and running in about 20 minutes with what seems a much more responsive tablet, with the things I wanted on it.

One small thing...When I was backing up my .img with clockwork, I was running into an issue with the program closing when I pressed the menu button. It kept closing out the clockwork program.

I found out after a few closeouts that the menu button is the selection button for this program. That may clear up some confusion.

Thank you for the great directions!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I got one this week for $139.99 got it in 2 days free shipping and package excellent plastic over the OEM sealed box and plastic package. Fired it up and it works! Better than the Coby MID7005-4G I had. So a few days now Rooted and Market latest GUI is up. I've made my own MOD and will release it soon called ACADEV TC200BE (Black Edition, Private Stock, Signature Collection Series looks like this:

180720_10150092295917949_579882948_6360407_5543500_n.jpg

Performance is up by 22% better than stock and rooted! I've fixed the icons to show like it does in Android OS 2.2 Froyo. I'll have to work on the wallpaper a a few things. The Market MOD you need to remove youtube.apk, Carxxx.apk, google voice and speech otherwise those will be loaded and your tablet doesn't have a mic and this uses 16MB. Also make sure you do a backup and use 16GB microSDHC card.

Last edited:

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Hi tipstir... I do believe we have a mic on the 7015... I was able to have talk cat record and repeat what said.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Yes there is a mic.... right hand side, very tiny hole between the HDMI and Headphone connections.

sm1174

Jan 30, 2011
I finally tried this & it worked...i had trouble with the first guide before, but this new one is this is the easiest. Thanks all.

burghman

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks so much for posting this guide! Easy to follow, worked like a charm!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Tazzin805

Feb 12, 2011
I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
I have successfully rooted the 7015.
I have installed the Terminal Emulator, and have the recovery.img file on my sdcard.
I launch Terminal Emulator, type in "su" <enter>, I get the prompt to change to #
Every time I enter "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" I get the error:

flash_image: not found

I have tried this a few times all with the same result!
HELP please!!

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
I have successfully rooted the 7015.
I have installed the Terminal Emulator, and have the recovery.img file on my sdcard.
I launch Terminal Emulator, type in "su" <enter>, I get the prompt to change to #
Every time I enter "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" I get the error:

flash_image: not found

I have tried this a few times all with the same result!
HELP please!!

First make sure you placed the "recovery.img" file in the ROOT of your sdcard and not nand.

It should be..../sdcard/recovery.img NOT /nand/recovery.img

Last edited:

CoastalTom

Feb 12, 2011
I'm having the same problem of flash_image not found from terminal emulator.

I updated from Coby's site - no problem
I rooted with z4root - no problem
I copied the recovery.img to the sd card
I also copied gapps-passion ........... file to the sdcard
All those files are displayed when read on my PC from the CK 7015 connected via USB
Downloaded Terminal Emulator
I type SU and it gets permission from superuser
I type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press return
It comes back with flash_image: not found

Frustrated! Any suggestions as I wanted to give the tablet to my wife for Valentines Day :)

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Go read the thread about the latest update. This problem is explained and solved.

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

CoastalTom

Feb 12, 2011
Thanks l_n.

I just finished reading the update thread. As I understand, the update from Coby may have "broken" my terminal ability, though my tablet does appear rooted. So do I need to install the original Kyros update.zip file that you posted and start over?

Thank you.