Post Upgrade: Kudos and Komplaints?

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
The only annoying quirk I'm seeing so far is a tendency for my tablet to shut down after it has gone to sleep.

Has anyone else seen this?

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
Nope, even if it has been sleeping for more than a day, but I also have notifications, etc. turned off so it is never trying to check for messages.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Mine started shutting completely down randomly, sometimes after sleeping and once in a while when I was using it, but after upgrading to ICS, it hasn't happened at all anymore.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The only annoying quirk I'm seeing so far is a tendency for my tablet to shut down after it has gone to sleep.

Are you using any pp killers or battery mangers? They could be the cause.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Are you using any pp killers or battery mangers? They could be the cause.

Not at all.
Something i was considering was doing a factory reset.
The ICS upgrade was very graceful, but i wonder if something might be gitched?

Batchman

May 14, 2011
strider_mt2k said:

Yes. This is something that I had previously that went away with the 3.2 upgrade, and now it's back again.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
Yes. This is something that I had previously that went away with the 3.2 upgrade, and now it's back again.

After doing a little searching around on the subject it seems to be an issue with others as well.
For now if I'm at my desk and plugged into external power I just leave the Clock app running.

Hopefully Acer will address this issue in future updates.

EDIT
I've learned that this issue will not be fixed by a factory reset either. Luckily I found out before I did it.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well so far... it looks nice but I've barely scratched the surface.

The annoying flicker/refresh that use to happen to the screen is gone - one good thing. On screen keyboard has a different look to it.

The status bar and buttons look different - change in font is pleasant. So far no real problems even with WIFI.

I've got my own Background so I can't see any difference that way.

I noticed that the icons are somewhat smaller.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
wmv files play now - which didn't before ICS.

Yeah just for the record ICS is heading to it 3rd day and I haven't had a problem.

I've put the OS under severe stress-test . Opened nearly half of the apps on the tablet and it hasn't skipped a beat.

The only lag I seem to be getting is with web pages. But this is not a problem.

Last edited:

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
I just got into playing the the camera more tonight, and I have to say I really like the new interface. I also like the new editing tools. I don't remember the ones that were on HC because I rarely used it. I may have to use the camera more. Video quality seems better as well.

I've noticed much better standby time on the battery as well. I had it almost running for two days with light-moderate use. Running 23 hours right now and only down to 76%.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I just got into playing the the camera more tonight, and I have to say I really like the new interface. I also like the new editing tools. I don't remember the ones that were on HC because I rarely used it. I may have to use the camera more. Video quality seems better as well.

I've noticed much better standby time on the battery as well. I had it almost running for two days with light-moderate use. Running 23 hours right now and only down to 76%.
What do you have running? the WIFI, BLUETOOTH, GPS, and VIBRATION ON TOUCH. The last one really sucks power.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I upgraded my A500 and my wife's A100 last weekend. So far, we have seen none of the problems others have reported. I like the new font, some of the new widgets, and the icon folders. I sort of miss "My Apps" in the Apps/Widgets screen. It was handy to find recently downloaded apps. Some of the new settings are useful, and the battery information is much better than 3.2.

The only problem I've noticed is that the images in some of my albums seem to be doubled in Gallery. There aren't actually duplicate files (according to File Manger), but I see 2 thumbnails, and the new photo widget displays everything twice.

On the whole the upgrade was well worth the effort. And the process itself was much easier than my 3.2 upgrade, which took about a dozen attempts over several days.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
It is more than 72 hours now and I still haven't had a problem. No problems with screens or any thing else. I have run just about every app on this tablet, except for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and they all work fine. No problems with USB, the WIFI, GPS, Blutooth. I'm using my Toshiba PA3959U-1ETB and it works fine. I've spent a few hours using the keyboard to test ICS in the Bluetooth connection and I haven't had a problem.

So I'm wondering where all the problems are coming from. In my experience, the OTA was a little slow in the start up but in the last two thirds of the OTA was quick. The other two tablets in the household the OTA went very quickly.

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
I've just discovered what might be my favorite new feature in ICS. The graphics in the app history list have been improved, but the real difference is in our ability to manage the list. I sometimes launch an app by accident or use a seldom-used app that I won't need for another month. I don't like these apps taking up 'room' in the app list, since they can push regularly used apps out of the list. Now, you don't have to let them. A simple flick to the right will remove any app from the app history list (just like a flick to the left takes notifications out of that list). WOW! I love it. Now, if they would let us flag 'favorites' or 'stickies' that would never leave the list, my dreams would be answered.

ttran163

Jun 9, 2011
I noticed that after the update, the internet browser almost always request for mobile sites. I tried "Request Desktop Sites", but will only go back to mobile the next page! It is so anoying seeing the mobile sites, for which the large tablet screen is just a waste!

Please help if you know. Thank you.