CFW for MID7024 based on Alldro2 Gingerbread

powellw

Dec 26, 2011
Just wanted to jump in and say thanks for fixing the worthless stock firmware for my 7024! :) Also, I had a lot of trouble trying to install version 1.1 over the stock firmware. Here is what I had to do:

1. Download and install 1.0 like normal (copy files and folders to microSD and boot into recovery mode)
2. Download and install 1.1 (couldn't do this over the stock firmware as u-boot.bin and other files were not in the .zip file for 1.1)
3. Download and install 1.1 service pack update

Booted after all this and everything works great! I actually want to boot my tablet up and use it now. If it helps anyone else for testing purposes, I used a Kingston Class 4 8gb microSDHC card. Thanks again!

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Just wanted to jump in and say thanks for fixing the worthless stock firmware for my 7024! :) Also, I had a lot of trouble trying to install version 1.1 over the stock firmware. Here is what I had to do:

1. Download and install 1.0 like normal (copy files and folders to microSD and boot into recovery mode)
2. Download and install 1.1 (couldn't do this over the stock firmware as u-boot.bin and other files were not in the .zip file for 1.1)
3. Download and install 1.1 service pack update

Booted after all this and everything works great! I actually want to boot my tablet up and use it now. If it helps anyone else for testing purposes, I used a Kingston Class 4 8gb microSDHC card. Thanks again!

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Someone else also reported issues updating from the stock firmware.

edit:
Confirmed.

Problem is the stock Coby recovery wants upgrade.img to be an Ext4 image.
Newer versions of urbetter's recovery expect it to be a FAT image.

Well that sucks, guess I'll go back to the old upgrade method.

Last edited:

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Hi Steev, I've been reading the threads regarding the 7024 firmware upgrade(s) and the first one I've tried (after installing coby's new firmware) is your Alldrod2 Gingerbread custom firmware. Didn't install the service pack thinking it would not affect the Alldro2 1.1 cfw, but now that I saw these previous posts I'll try installing it for the third time. BIG THANKS for doing these firmwares to help improve the coby's performance. Kudos to the rest of the team helping in the development as well. Can't wait for the final Volcano CFW.

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Hello again, I can't seem to make the Alldro2 Gingerbread CFW work, do I have to root the tablet? Thanks.

Spook_Man

Nov 30, 2011
This is what ive done.

1. Download latest ROM and sp1.
2. On pc, format microsd card as FAT32.
3. Copy over v1.1 files to microsd card. Gracefully eject card from pc; left-click devices icon in taskbar and select eject.
4. Put sd card into tablet memory slot.
5. Hold down home key and power key to turn tablet on. This should show the rom update screens. Follow the onscreen instructions. System will power off when done.
6. Power tablet back on and let it start up. Once you unlock it and can see the main workspace, power off tablet and take out sd card.
7. Put sd card back into pc and fresh format FAT32.
8. Copy over the sp1 update.img file. Gracefully eject sd card and put back into tsblet.
9. Again, hold down home key and power button to start upgrade process. Follow the onscreen steps to complete the update. System will power off once done.
10. You should have an updated system.

Sent from my Steev Alldro2 v1.1 SP-1 MID7024

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Thanks for the detailed instructions Spook_Man. Almost the same steps that I did but I probably extracted the file(s) wrong. I'll give this another shot and, hopefully, I'll get my tablet updated.

Spook_Man

Nov 30, 2011
A couple issues I've noticed with v1.1 SP-1.

1. Battery shows about 20% left, but then tablet shuts down. Plug it in and power back on.
1.a. Have to reset date and time.
1.b. Battery shows 0 percent and its charging. It just had 20%.

2. Market isn't showing movies any longer.

3. Estask manager is reporting a market update. But it won't update because its "not installed". Yet, shows open and update as only two options.

Otherwise, ROM works great and I love how well it works.

Thanks..

Sent from my Steev Alldro2 v1.1 SP-1 MID7024

sunset0202

Aug 10, 2011
Maybe it's off-topic, but is there something I can do to keep the soft buttons ALWAYS on the screen? I had my touchscreen broken and while replacing it (for a 7" GPS one, closest match I could find) a silly movement damaged the unit buttons flex. The touchscreen worked allright, tough a bit less responsive than the original one (wonder if it's possible some tweak to improve it) but now I only have the home button, which is assembled on mainboard. Some apps are fullscreen and not having back button stucks me, and the lack of menu button makes some apps unuseable...

Sent from my Alldro2 v1.1 SP1 7024

jenlou

Dec 23, 2011
Maybe it's off-topic, but is there something I can do to keep the soft buttons ALWAYS on the screen? I had my touchscreen broken and while replacing it (for a 7" GPS one, closest match I could find) a silly movement damaged the unit buttons flex. The touchscreen worked allright, tough a bit less responsive than the original one (wonder if it's possible some tweak to improve it) but now I only have the home button, which is assembled on mainboard. Some apps are fullscreen and not having back button stucks me, and the lack of menu button makes some apps unuseable...

If I had the same problem, I would download the Volcano Honeycomb firmware. The buttons that you like is displayed at the bottom of the tablet. Check out the Volcano honeycomb firmware thread in this forum. I also have a 7024 tablet and have already downloaded the firmware and I am liking it so far even if it needs some more improvement. Its functional, but still in the testing stage.

Kiserian

Aug 28, 2011

Dude, i guess this should be posted in the technical section. If you are using the honeycomb UI, u'll always have the soft buttons in the screen. The menu button is the one beside the "HOME" botton in the notifications bar, it looks like a chocolate bar. Hope it helps :D

Of course, this using the Steevmod v1.1 SP1 , the important thing is that the HOME hard button is still working dude

kin_kwok

Nov 14, 2011
Hi all,

I have been using v0.2 for last few weeks without any major problem. Yesterday, I update my 7024 to 1.1 and was working fine till I reboot the unit. After reboot, I cannot unlock the screen using PIN. The PIN was working fine before reboot. I have tried to reflash 1.1 again and same problem.
Anyone has the same problem?

KK :(

Matthews

Dec 28, 2011
Hi all,

I have been using v0.2 for last few weeks without any major problem. Yesterday, I update my 7024 to 1.1 and was working fine till I reboot the unit. After reboot, I cannot unlock the screen using PIN. The PIN was working fine before reboot. I have tried to reflash 1.1 again and same problem.
Anyone has the same problem?

KK :(

I used 0.2 for weeks also, and 0.3 as well.

I couldnt unlock my screen either last week
But I eventually figured out that the screen calibration was messed up and you have to press a couple inchs away from where the button appears to actually press it. But even after unlocking, it wont calibrate.
Ive tried reflashing back to stock and tried multiple other firmware.
I have actually Hard bricked it (Buttons light up on the side only if you hold in the power button, screen would not turn on)
And recovered it from the hard brick....
But I still cant get the screen to calibrate....