[WIP] Volcano - Honeycomb 3.0 for Coby Kyros x024

lionelannie

Dec 24, 2011
Hi Lfom
Ok to create a another thread for mid 1024 build; i will put all the feedbacks. Lfom i am not a developer I try with the files of your work to run the rom on a mid1024

Last edited:

prog19

Dec 26, 2011
I think B12 is mostly stable now and can be used in a daily basis. Apps for Honeycomb work as expected. There are small glitches, like Launcher ignoring taps when soft buttons are used in the apps drawer and the settings panel/shadow. Also, camera still doesn't work as well as hardware based video/audio (that's why newer Youtube videos don't work). For audio/video I suggest that a 3rd party player like MX Video Player is installed, it works OK with software decoding.

Is it OK to create another thread for the MID1024 build? It has some important differences, like firmware logo size (due to different LCD resolution), soft buttons mapping, etc.

But the development will continue to be universal for the series xx24 or you will develop only to 1024 ?

Mnemonic

Oct 18, 2011
Some hope about hardware accelerations drivers? I think I will not change to HC until this thing becomes a bit more speedy... Anyway, it's good to know about Beta 12 and a bit more support to 1024 series.

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
I wonder if it would be possible to make a .cmd file that preps the install for the different versions, like Uberoid. You pick an option it copies the needed modules etc by version then you can point it to a microsd drive on the pc and it copies the all files over.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I think I am able to create an universal installer for Volcano, but it won't be automatic: use must delete or move folders to customize the installation, similarly to what I do in GingerLF. I think it's safer for most users then editing a text file: user may type it wrong or save it to the wrong place, etc. I prefer simply deleting or moving a single folder/file.

I am asking steev and Terry so I can release a custom build for 1024 so it's simpler to install, no editing needed. As it's their project, I think I have to ask first. ;)

All work done by me related to Volcano is being shared in the HC Group over SlateDroid, don't worry. ;)

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
I think I am able to create an universal installer for Volcano, but it won't be automatic: use must delete or move folders to customize the installation, similarly to what I do in GingerLF. I think it's safer for most users then editing a text file: user may type it wrong or save it to the wrong place, etc. I prefer simply deleting or moving a single folder/file.

I am asking steev and Terry so I can release a custom build for 1024 so it's simpler to install, no editing needed. As it's their project, I think I have to ask first. ;)

All work done by me related to Volcano is being shared in the HC Group over SlateDroid, don't worry. ;)

I might be able to create the .cmd or .bat to do the delete/move parts with a menu. It's been awhile. I'd just need the steps for the files. I can test it on my 1024, then would just need a 7 and 8. But It's own version would be simpler, and simpler is better.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011

It's perfectly fine with me.

Your contributions to the project have been great. Thanks :)

tlbardelljr

Jul 12, 2011

Fine with me also and agreed your contribution is great!

avparcero

Jan 19, 2012
I think B12 is mostly stable now and can be used in a daily basis. Apps for Honeycomb work as expected. There are small glitches, like Launcher ignoring taps when soft buttons are used in the apps drawer and the settings panel/shadow. Also, camera still doesn't work as well as hardware based video/audio (that's why newer Youtube videos don't work). For audio/video I suggest that a 3rd party player like MX Video Player is installed, it works OK with software decoding.

Is it OK to create another thread for the MID1024 build? It has some important differences, like firmware logo size (due to different LCD resolution), soft buttons mapping, etc.

Have you created the thread for the MID1024?
What's the url?
Where can I download Beta12? I only see Beta10 and it doesn't look very clear in how to make Beta 12 from Herotab8
Can you tell me how to do and where to dload? I'm using your [CFW] GingerLF 1.5 EVO - Custom GingerBread Android 2.3 for MID1024 and it works great, but I'm interested in testing new developments using Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.
Thanks!

mharckk

Dec 4, 2011
Have you created the thread for the MID1024?
What's the url?
Where can I download Beta12? I only see Beta10 and it doesn't look very clear in how to make Beta 12 from Herotab8
Can you tell me how to do and where to dload? I'm using your [CFW] GingerLF 1.5 EVO - Custom GingerBread Android 2.3 for MID1024 and it works great, but I'm interested in testing new developments using Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.
Thanks!

i saw the beta 12 posted on the slatedroid, im also waiting for the 1024 version of this cfw. :), hopefully lfom will finish this project with steev for xx24 tablets :), anyway im currently keep tracking on the development of this great cfw. and wishful thinking that after this projects been completed they will work with the icecream cfw. yipeee!!! hehe. :)

fotocreaman

Jan 5, 2012
First I would like to thank everybody working on this. This ROM looks super!
I installed yesterday B12 on MID1024 and most things worked OK. This is what I saw:
- market had some issues "loosing" my credentials. I installed a newer version and this seems to work.
- all applications I installed through TB worked, but the system became super slow
- video I forgot to test
- wifi and touch work very well
- soft buttons seem so work erratically.
- hard buttons most work apart from the home
- when I go to the list of apps sometimes I cannot leave this screen. After some pushing on multiple soft and hard buttons I finally can close this screen
- go keyboard for dutch azerty worked very well

All in all if the system was not so slow I could use this as a day to day ROM.

Keep up the good work

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
This is my first build, trying to create an universal installer as well.

It was tested on a MID1204 with 1024n, but I can't guarantee it will work with every model. I am using steev's safe upgrade utscript, so hard bricking is highly improbable.

Install using the normal procedure. If you do not have a 1024, delete the file 0_MID1024 and install as usual.

Known problems (doesn't work or not tested):
- Camera
- HW accelerated video/audio
- Flash plugin
- USB Host mode
- HDMI
- Gravity sensor seems to work, but doesn't affect UI

There are still small glitches in Launcher/SystemUI. Launcher may seem to freeze if you try to use hardware buttons, so avoid them (not needed in HC anyway). If it seems to freeze, use the double square or even physical buttons to start any app, then it will work again.

WiFi may stop working too is tablet is in suspended mode for a long time. Simply go to settings and turn if off then back on.

Download link - Volcano - Honeycomb ROM - Minus

steev modded a better Launcher for 1024, with more app rows: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17126237/HoneyLF/Launcher2.apk.1024

If you install on a 7024 or 8024, please report back if it works.

Last edited: