*All* Onda Tablet Firmware Update Walk-Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

sick2sick

Dec 2, 2012
hey i am really seeking help tried following the steps however tablet is stuck at the reboot onda screen and wont reboot now i tried turning off and on again now its stuck at black screen with blue letters. Please help i think i broke it

sick2sick

Dec 2, 2012
Hey can anyone help my onda v971 is stuck in boot loop after trying to install the Jb are there any solutions?

backspace

Nov 24, 2012
Thanks again for all your help, firmware update has made a big difference.
One thing that does keep occuring though is I keep getting chucked out of internet back to home screen every so often, any ideas on a fix for this???

felsar

Dec 18, 2012
Im working on a new firmware upgrading method will post you link today.

Hi I'm new to this forum [not to android devices and rooting, etc] just got this onda v701 tablet, tried to update to JB but got bootloop :/ device is stuck at "ONDA" screen... did you make an unbrick method or something??

--EDIT--

Ok I made it to work, what I did was to use another SDcard and make all 3 wipes before and after installation and now it boots normally. Thank you so much for this guide :p

--EDIT--

Its me again... tablet running nice, but root.zip does nothing even if it say "installation success" I don't have SU at apps... also don't have any google app nor playstore I tried to flash gapps and it say installation complete but theres no app installed when reboot, and since I dont have SU [root] can't push them to system/app... any help??

Last edited:

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Hi I'm new to this forum [not to android devices and rooting, etc] just got this onda v701 tablet, tried to update to JB but got bootloop :/ device is stuck at "ONDA" screen... did you make an unbrick method or something??

--EDIT--

Ok I made it to work, what I did was to use another SDcard and make all 3 wipes before and after installation and now it boots normally. Thank you so much for this guide :p

--EDIT--

Its me again... tablet running nice, but root.zip does nothing even if it say "installation success" I don't have SU at apps... also don't have any google app nor playstore I tried to flash gapps and it say installation complete but theres no app installed when reboot, and since I dont have SU [root] can't push them to system/app... any help??

Hi, follow the guide linked below, dont wipe/reset as any patch your doing is just being removed, if you have 4.1.1 installed with all the chinese apps, then just follow root section. You do not need to use the recovery menu it is a auto installer.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ing-play-store-google-apps-root-explorer.html

Last edited:

felsar

Dec 18, 2012

sweal

Dec 24, 2012
I used your instructions below to flash my onda V802 to firmware 1.5.?? anyway, it worked great, but for some reason I can't download google maps? have you had this happen before? also google voice is not working. did I do something wrong?

Hi, there seem's to be a lot of confusing surrounding the firmware update so i have put this together to walk you through what is a simple process if you have the correct files, so please check then double check your files are for your tablet and read through a couple of times to get used to what your about to do. If you have any questions just ask and i will reply to you.

**PLEASE NOTE YOU CAN DO THIS WITH ANY ONDA TABLET JUST USE THE CORRECT FIRMWARE FILE**
***DOES NOT WORK WITH FIRMWARE 2.0 OR ABOVE***
Also when you download your Firmware file from the link open up the .zip and look for a file which has the version of your tablet and firmware in the name for example ABC_V701_ABC_1.5.5.zip / ABC_V812_ABC.1.4.zip when you have this check inside and if it contains a file called update.zip then extract update.zip as this is your firmware, but if doesn't then keep it as it is as this is your firmware file. Onda are now packing the file with programs to install firmware by usb, you dont need to do it that way, also if you see a file called patch.zip that contains all the chinese apps so just delete if you dont want them**

First off we need the files so download the following 3

Firmware - www.onda.cn/Support/Search.aspx?ch=1&pageIndex=1 - Translator

Root+Gapps - ROOT and Google APPS (2 files)

You should now have the following .zip files

Your firmware/update.zip

root
gapps-ics-20120429-signed

Now copy/drag+drop them to your sd-card as they are, now its time to flash it, please ensure you have atleast 50% battery to be safe.

With the tablet switched off boot to Recovery Mode ( holding down the home + power buttons until you see the white android )

Using the volume keys up/down or home button if no physical volume keys and the power button to select do the following in order

wipe data/factory reset - wipe cache partition - wipe media partition

Now select - apply update from sdcard then select firmware/update.zip when it has finished select reboot, when the tablet loads it will
be in chinese unlock and press the blue button that pops up then press the settings button (blue box with sliders) now go down the left hand menu
to the symbol [A] white box black A, and select, now on the right press the top menu choice and select your language and then make sure you

change the time to your time zone! Now switch off the tablet again.

Again boot to recovery mode and select- apply update from sdcard then select- root.zip when done reboot.

Now goto your apps screen and you will see SuperUser and Root Explorer, select Root Explorer and grant SuperUser permissions.

You will now see a list of files, go down to and select- sdcard then select - external_sdcard and you will now see file-
gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip Press and hold until a menu pops up and choose Extract All, once done select Goto Extracted, then select the file

gapps-ics-20120429-signed then - system then - app You will now see a list of apps, in the top right corner of screen press

the menu button (3 dots) and select Multi-select and then press Select All then Copy.

Now the back button (curved arrow bottom left of screen) you need to press this 6 times and then select System then app, you can now press

Paste... once done power off the tablet and power back on as normal, check your apps and you will now see Play Store.... Enjoy.

You now have your Onda Tablet running as it should be, enjoy!!

JamesyD

Jan 7, 2013
I have just received my new Onda V812 8" tablet and I downloaded a new firmware file called V812Core4_v1.0.rar from the download section on Onda's website. I looked inside the winzip folder and there were 3 files, one was a Microsoft word doc, but was in Chinese so I couldnt understand it, A software installation programe callled Phoenix Suite pack which I suppose this is the USB installation, and there was a disc image called V812CORE_V1.0.IMG. Is this the file I need to paste and copy onto my formatted SD card in order to update my tablet, just checking cos I really dont want to brick it by flashing with the wrong file, tx :)

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
I have just received my new Onda V812 8" tablet and I downloaded a new firmware file called V812Core4_v1.0.rar from the download section on Onda's website. I looked inside the winzip folder and there were 3 files, one was a Microsoft word doc, but was in Chinese so I couldnt understand it, A software installation programe callled Phoenix Suite pack which I suppose this is the USB installation, and there was a disc image called V812CORE_V1.0.IMG. Is this the file I need to paste and copy onto my formatted SD card in order to update my tablet, just checking cos I really dont want to brick it by flashing with the wrong file, tx :)

Shut down your tablet then run the USB program, then connect the tablet to pc and boot to recovery, the USB program will pick it up then flash the img file as per instructions for the program, sorry i have not used that USB program before.

Then follow the ROOT SECTION in this guide - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ing-play-store-google-apps-root-explorer.html

Last edited:

stevensly

Jan 20, 2013
hi guys! ive got an onda vi40 elite and am looking for the latest firmwaree. is jb uspported?
i have to admit, its been a while since i updated the firmware,almost 1yr!
im currently using the tnt firmware and am looking for something newer.

thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.