[ROM] KKMod Gingerbread ROM for 8" IMX515 (v2.3.3.r02)

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Is there a way to start all over? I think I cannot flash the boot image since I cannot get it to adb mode. Is there a manual way?

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Is there a way to start all over? I think I cannot flash the boot image since I cannot get it to adb mode. Is there a manual way?

There is no need to reflash the boot image, you cannot go into flash mode if its corrupted which it is not.

What is the last message that you see after doing step 7?

By the way, what is the hardware of your tablet?

Last edited:

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Hello,
I have Apad imx515 with 2 speakers and no screws. Nothing worked so I just opened it and took out the sdcard and re-wrote the image I had backed up of the Android 2.2. Now It is able to boot.
The image is not clear but Model number is imx51_bbg. Is this version not supported? If not then it is my mistake.

$20092011085.jpg

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
I have Apad imx515 with 2 speakers and no screws. Nothing worked so I just opened it and took out the sdcard and re-wrote the image I had backed up of the Android 2.2. Now It is able to boot.
The image is not clear but Model number is imx51_bbg. Is this version not supported? If not then it is my mistake.

View attachment 4008

Its does look like a normal 8" IMX515 tablet.

What is the last message from the romkit after you have step 7 is completed?

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
recovery - OKAY
uramdisk OKAY
kernel OKAY
system OKAY

Successfully flash KKMod Android ROM to Tablet.

Then I select reboot tablet from the menu, it restarts, shows the kkmod logo and then the penguin and gets stuck there.

Andrew

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
I have read elsewhere that the Gingerbread kernel is 3MB and not 1MB like the 2.2 kernel. Does that mean the card needs to be re-partitioned? It is probably overwriting the ramdisk portion.....

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
recovery - OKAY
uramdisk OKAY
kernel OKAY
system OKAY

Successfully flash KKMod Android ROM to Tablet.

Then I select reboot tablet from the menu, it restarts, shows the kkmod logo and then the penguin and gets stuck there.

Andrew

Thats very strange. You seem to be the only known case of an 8" imx515 tablet that does not work. The fact that you did not even see the "android" text must mean that the init process did not even get started.

Do you know how to use adb? I am going to give you a modify bootloader to see if we can find out why your kernel is not booting properly.

I have read elsewhere that the Gingerbread kernel is 3MB and not 1MB like the 2.2 kernel. Does that mean the card needs to be re-partitioned? It is probably overwriting the ramdisk portion.....

gingerbread use v2.6.35 and with all the default option is > 3mb which is why the 2.2. bootloader is not compatible. However, your issue is not related to that. There are already quite a number of us able to upgrade to gingerbread.

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Yes. Am able to use adb. I used dd to re-write the image of 2.2 back on the sd card which i had saved. So I am back to 2.2 because I could not boot and could only get the kkmod flash more.

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Yes. Am able to use adb. I used dd to re-write the image of 2.2 back on the sd card which i had saved. So I am back to 2.2 because I could not boot and could only get the kkmod flash more.

check your pm. I have sent you the link and steps for loading a custom bootloader for displaying kernel message

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
check your pm. I have sent you the link and steps for loading a custom bootloader for displaying kernel message

Hello,
I have done it.
Shows the kkmod logo at the beginning, then the linux tux penguin. then starts scrolling the boot information. It goes well - it is quite fast so am not seeing everything but I don't see any errors so far. However, after the logger creating the logs 6K log_main, 256K log_events, 64K log_radio and 64K log_system, it does the

MMA7660 INIT
input: mmm8451 as /devices/platform/mma8451.0/input/input2
vib_off

Then it stops there.

Nothing more.

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
I have done it.
Shows the kkmod logo at the beginning, then the linux tux penguin. then starts scrolling the boot information. It goes well - it is quite fast so am not seeing everything but I don't see any errors so far. However, after the logger creating the logs 6K log_main, 256K log_events, 64K log_radio and 64K log_system, it does the

MMA7660 INIT
input: mmm8451 as /devices/platform/mma8451.0/input/input2
vib_off

Then it stops there.

Nothing more.

The kernel hung when trying to load the drivers. Very strange indeed.

If you are now on 2.2., can you provide a copy of the "adb shell dmesg" output?

Pietje

Aug 14, 2011
Hi, i tried loading this rom as well with a one speaker model. The one issue it have, which is already enough for me to want to get back to Android 2.2 is the fact that setting the date and time hangs the unit. When it occassionally does work the time and date is back to 1970 after a cold boot, even after making sure the date and the time is set.

Any idea how i get back to Android 2.2?

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Hi, i tried loading this rom as well with a one speaker model. The one issue it have, which is already enough for me to want to get back to Android 2.2 is the fact that setting the date and time hangs the unit. When it occassionally does work the time and date is back to 1970 after a cold boot, even after making sure the date and the time is set.

Any idea how i get back to Android 2.2?

you can disable datecorrection and use clocksync for time keeping if its not working for you.

To revert, you need to find the raw 2.2. image and flash it directly to the internal sd card. Google it as there are a couple of good guides on doing that.

UPDATE:

new version available. cant update title.

Last edited:

afadli99

Aug 17, 2011
i just installed gingerbread on my device(8inch imx515)... but seem like the g sensor is not work correctly... can you help me fix this?